Thursday, September 11, 2014

Grateful to Be Guided: Studying Special Education

Recently, my decision to study special education has been a topic for conversation.  Here at BYU, it seems to strike an interest with my peers from other majors.


I came to Brigham Young University, knowing that I wanted to pursue a career where I could better the quality of life for others.  I began my journey as a seventeen year old pre-nursing major.  I soon realized that nursing wasn't for me.  The following semester, I decided to begin studying communication disorders.  Although, I liked communication disorders more than nursing, I still didn't feel peace about my decision.  

Luke


My brother has Down's Syndrome.  Thus, growing up, I was always aware of the field of Special Education and some of the elements involved, but I never considered pursuing it.  However, as my two previous attempts at choosing a major had failed, I became increasingly interested and decided to give it a go.  However, I still wasn't convinced.  

What to study at Brigham Young University had long been a topic of prayer.  Despite my doubt about studying Special Education initially, I am NOW completely confident that I'm pursuing the educational path God wants me to.  

I distinctly remember the first day of Intro to Special Education taught by Dr. Kellems.  He greeted us by saying, "Welcome to the best major at Brigham Young University."  It's difficult to describe the feeling that came over me.  I felt excited, emotional, and completely at peace.  I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for guiding me to this major.  

But the confirmation that I was in the right place continued.  As I got to know the other students who were also applying to the major, I was amazed by their goodness, their patience, and their diligence.  The peers I am currently surrounded by are incredible.  They inspire me to be better and to work to develop the qualities of patience, perfect kindness, and service exemplified by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Jesus Hearing the Blind Man, by Carl Heinrich Bloch

As I have reflected upon the Savior in my religious studies at Brigham Young University, I have gained a deeper understanding of the love he had for those who had emotional, intellectual, and physical disabilities.  He healed the sick, caused the lame to walk, and caused the blind to see (Matthew 15:31).  Christ knows the eternal potential of each and every one of us, especially those who are limited by their earthly bodies.



Elder Jeffery R. Holland
My knowledge of the eternal capacities of individuals with disabilities has solidified as I have studied in the field of Special Education.  One of my favorite quotes by Jeffery R. Holland rings in my mind as I think about this topic.  He said in the October 2013 General Conference, "I testify of the holy resurrection...I bear witness of that day when loved ones who we knew to have disabilities in mortality will stand before us glorified and grand, breathtaking and perfect in body and mind.  What a thrilling moment that will be.  I don't know if we will be happier for ourselves that we have witnessed such a miracle or happier for them that they are fully perfect and finally free at last" (Jeffery R, Holland, Like A Broken Vessel). 

Healing Hands, by Adam Abram


I'm grateful that I was guided to the decision to study Special Education.  I look forward to the day that ALL of us will stand before the Savior breathtaking and perfect in body and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment